Step one is important, once I realized it wasn’t posted, I got it posted right away.
- Why is material prep important with thread rolling?
- Thread rolling is a cold forming process and the material goes through a state change. With Axial rolling tools this change normally occurs in the first 2 pitches.
- Material is prepped at the mean of the Pitch based on the class of thread.
- The state change occurs by compressing the material down to the Minor dia then it flows up the roll form and creates the Major.
- The chamfer must start a least .010” below the Min. Minor
- Improper prep results in too much material and risks breaking the rolls